The Out of School Time Council
In 2014, the Out of School Time (OST) Advisory Council was created as an advisory body by the County Board and the School Board of Arlington County. In 2017, the OST Advisory Council has established new goals and a workplan to achieve its vision and needs critical supports to address the achievement and opportunity gaps and better serve Arlington’s children and families.
VISION: We believe that all Arlington’s youth preK-12 should have opportunities to learn, grow and thrive beyond schools. Families should have access and affordable, quality options that meet the needs and interests of their children. To strengthen the community, stakeholders in Arlington need to come together to create, support and communicate about connected and effective expanded learning opportunities before- and after-school and during the summer.
CHARTER: OST is a committee of the Partnership for Children, Youth and Families (PYCF) with responsibilities to advise the County Board and School Board on matters relating to Out-of-School Time policies and programs in Arlington County.
Below is our meeting schedule for the upcoming school year. We meet at Lubber Run Community Center, Room 204 Please save these meeting dates as we are hoping to have full participation in the upcoming year!
2017 OST Meeting Schedule
*Please note our Meeting dates havemoved to Thursdays.
|Thurs. Sept||21st 3:30pm|
2017 GOALS AND ACTIVITIES
The Arlington OST Council is committed to pursuing the following goals in 2017:
- Create mechanisms to LINK KIDS AND FAMILIES WITH QUALITY EXPANDED LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Produce an Activity Fair for families and youth to identify afterschool programs
- Develop a landscape of afterschool and summer learning programs by inviting them to the activity fair and collecting data about available slots, costs, and waiting lists
- Explore the potential of a website about afterschool opportunities, including costs and staffing needs
- ADVOCATE FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH TO THRIVE WITH QUALITY EXPANDED LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Recommend and advocate for a “Whole Community, Whole Child” commission with high-level decision makers across the county to address recommendations in the APS Whole Child Report and create a vision for youth in Arlington.
- Research and recommend an applicable Youth Master Plan that may include focus areas on:
- Dedicated Funding
- Vulnerable Youth
- Identify Champions for OST across the County
- Advocate for dedicated Staff in Partnership for OST and appropriate budget for activities
- Advocate for inclusion of OST in APS Strategic Plan 2018
MAKE THE OST COUNCIL STRONG AND EFFECTIVE to work on behalf of Arlington’s youth and families
- Develop a Case Statement to make the case for afterschool, including refining the Charter
- Ensure diverse and full representation on the Council, filling all designated positions, and broadening membership
- Establish an executive committee
- Host Quarterly Leadership Youth Forums