The Arlington Partnership conducts surveys of our youth (grades 6th -12th) to understand what are the strengths in their lives and what they struggle with. You can find reports on those surveys here.
Thanks to their honesty we know that among Arlington youth:
- Most have supportive families (70%) or other supportive adults in their lives (40%)
- But less than 1/3 (29%) feel that they can talk to their parents about difficult topics.
Every single day, our young people make decisions about friendships, studying and classwork, what to do in their free time, as well as things like drinking, drug use, and more. As parents (teachers, coaches, neighbors, youth ministers, public safety professionals…), we can help and guide them toward making safe, healthy choices.
- Take a look at this Infographic on what our kids are telling us.
- Share it with your kids.
- Ask their opinion about it – what do they see and hear at school and among their friends?
- Be ready to listen – even if you don’t like what you hear!