Asset Committee Meeting Notes
Monday, July 8, 2013 Sequoia 2100 Washington Blvd Arlington, VA 22204 conference room A
Lt. Ron Files, ACPD, new supervisor of SRO Unit
– Contact info: email@example.com, x4099
– Was an SRO at Wakefield from 1994-99. Really excited to head up the program.
– Has 12 officers under him; expects there to be some reassignments among officers; some good new officers joining the team.
– restructuring to North and South teams, so officers are familiar with and able to cover schools when an SRO is on leave.
– Currently there are no elementary SRO’s; however, after Sandy Hook, renewed emphasis. Arlington has qualified for a grant to cover salaries for 5 officers for 3 yrs., but County has to agree to pay for remaining 22 yrs. Still waiting to see County response. If it occurs, would begin in January.
– Interested in a training for officers, on
- Assets, concept, data, also YRBS
- 2nd Chance
- Too Smart to Start
– Maybe combine into a 1.5-2-hr session?
- Can connect with Deb Defranco; who is best contact for 2nd Chance?
– Partnering with READY & TNB.
- SRO’s attending YADAPP (Youth Alcohol & Drug Abuse Prevention Project) conference this week with students & Phillip Leverette.
- Hoping to continue momentum by setting up ATI clubs in each of the schools.
- Great opportunity for Community Conversation, bring officers and students together for a panel discussion,
- Ron & Phil, and Siobhan to debrief after YADAPP
– Invite Ron back in 6mos to see how it’s going.
CFAC/Asset campaign pilot (getting into schools with material and content around an ‘asset per month’ idea
Thanks for the thoughts, feedback, and ideas around this proposal. It has been incredibly useful and informative. I continue to have conversations to identify the most effective way to get the Assets message out to the community at this time and will have updates by the next meeting.
If you have further ideas or thoughts, please share with me whether by phone, email, or always happy to meet in person.
Below is a recap of some of the discussion:
– Anne Vor de Bruegge from Carlin Springs shared her perspective on this idea:
– Carlin Springs is interested in Assets
– They, like many schools, strongly resist ‘another thing’ to do/remember/implement.
– Proposing to focus on School pride as a way to build self-confidence, pride in self, in school. Would like to combine school pride, self-confidence, and Assets.
– Interested in a presentation so staff can hear, be inspired, connect to idea of Pride; maybe do in smaller groups, rather than large all-staff presentation.
As the discussion broadened, ideas and thoughts shared include:
– Improving school climate is a recommendation from drop out committee
– Teachers see direct line between their teaching and test scores. Best to get small group from APS to talk about ways to improve.
– focus on kids, parents; support efforts to get parents more involved; provide tools for parents, how to engage in schools & connect with PTAs
? how does Carlin Springs (or other schools) successfully engage parents?
– bring teens in, with a plan for them to work with the kids
– Hire a marketing person…ask teens, how to sell to youth?
– County Fair, could we get a room? Run the videos, in a cool space, have some debrief time.
– SHAB, Stacy Snelling, outgoing chair, working on a detailed self-assessment, could ass an Asset question(S) to assessment.
– Connect with Communities in Schools; Exec Director, Patrick Brennan is hiring 2 school liaisons Arl Mill and Wakefield.
I haven’t been able to follow up on all of these, except the County Fair one. But I’ll work on this list and get back to everyone as we prioritize them (we had done some of that in May, but this feels like we might be switching gears a little).
in attendance: Anne Vor de Bruegge, Sam Stebbins, Shalma Akther; rising 12th grader at WL, Rachel Robertson, rising 12th grader at Yorktown, John Andelin, Earl Conklin, Linda Henderson, Tricia Rodgers, Siobhan Grayson, Philip Leverette; Special Guest – Lt Ron Files, ACPD